2023-10 Security News: Printing
Cybersecurity may make us think of computer threats from the Internet. But simply printing a document to the wrong printer could also be dangerous.
In a recent study, 68% of those interviewed reported costly data losses resulting from insecure printing practices.—Quocirca Print Security Landscape 2022
If this happens, sensitive information could accidentally be revealed to those not authorized to it. How can you protect yourself?
Check Printer Settings
- Confirm that the correct printer is selected each time you print.
- When the “Print” menu appears, make sure the name of the correct printer is highlighted on the drop-down list.
Questions to Ask Yourself
- Consider whether the document really needs to be printed. Dispose of unneeded printouts in a secure manner.
- When moving to a new location, make sure your computer is configured to print to the correct printer.
- Retrieve your printouts quickly to prevent unauthorized people from taking them accidentally. Consider using User Box Printing or Secure Print features for printers that support them.
- Secure personally-owned printers by updating the printer drivers, operating system, and firmware when updates are available.